26 octobre 2007 5 26 /10 /octobre /2007 19:53
St. Martial Church is one of the first churches to be built after the French revolution. The first stone was blessed May 1st, 1839, by Bishop Donnet who wanted a new sanctuary dedicated to St. Martial, apostle of Limoges, and founder of St. Andrew's Cathedral in Bordeaux.
With the first stone, was also blessed a medal to recall the anniversary of the consecration of the Kingdom of France to the Blessed Virgin Mary by King Louis XIII.
The church opened in October 1840.
The architect was Michel Bonfin, whose father had built the Rohan Palace ( now the Town Hall, then the Bishop palace ).
Its Greek style was not praised when it was inaugurated, but intrepid Father Drivet, the first curate, was in need of a church as soon as possible.
Times have changed...Now the church is almost empty, and only on saturday evening and sunday morning can we hear mass.
In 1854 a tower-bell was erected. The church suffered during the British bombings of the Northern parts of Bordeaux in WW 2.
Inside the church we can admire an interesting wooden statue of St. Martial, and two old statues of Our Lady.